Monday, November 23, 2009

Jeff Koons


This next piece of art by Jeff Koons was called the Balloon Dog. This was a 1996 sculpture made by steel and of epoxy fiberglass (ballonhq.com). Jeff did not make this, instead he drew up the idea of it while other people came in to create it. The size of the Ballon Dog is 126 x 149 x 47 inches which is huge (balloonhq.com). I thought it was a shinny green but it is actually yellow.

I found a great quote that sums up what Jeff is responding in the sculpture Balloon Dog. Jeff says, "It's about celebration and childhood and color and simplicity - but it's also a Trojan horse. It's a Trojan horse to the whole body of artwork." This particular work is just trying to bring livelyhood to the public with its bright color and interesting balloon figure. Everyone knows how people can make figures like dogs out of regular balloons, but Koons took it even further by creating the balloon dog out of steel and fiberglass.

This work doesnt remind me of anything else we have covered in class but it did remind me of the painting a guy named Bruce Nauman created. Only because his painting was of a green light corridor and it is extremely bright. I think the color is real cool and catches my eye just like the balloon does. Other than that I can't seem to relate it back to anything other than makes me think of county fairs where I use to have balloon dogs made for me.

balloonhq.com. 18 March 2001. Jeff Koons. 23 Nov. 2009.
http://www.balloonhq.com/highlights/koons/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment